Giving thanks always

"Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" -Eph 5:20

September 4, 2010

8 Layers of Hell

This is from a trip we took last time we were in Japan. We probably won't ever go again so I figured I'd go ahead and share the experience anyway! This was the Layers of Hell tour in Beppu, Japan. We didn't see all the different layers but made it to a few of the more popular ones. I'll try to explain the best I remember...it's been a few years!



You see this thing all over Japan. We were stoked to find a live size one!!

Don't recall what this was.

This was the Oniishibozu Jigoku or Monk's head layer of Hell. The bubbles are supposed to look like a monk's bald head. Hence the name.

Appreciate the English translation.

Me soaking my feet in the "hot spring of a leg"

This was similar to the Chinoike Jigoku or "blood pond hell" but I don't think it was the actual one. This was a lot smaller but it still had the red water

Closer up.

Pretty little bridge. I love all the red!

Drinking some fresh water.

Sign telling about the Sea hell

Umi Jigoku or Sea Hell. I thought this was the prettiest...if the water wasn't warm enough to boil an egg in I would have jumped right in!

Peter drinking some fresh water

Pretty Japanese arches.

No idea what it says! Where's the English translation???
Another hot spring I assume. Thought it was a pretty picture.

Tossing a coin...making a wish!
It was a neat trip! There are nine hells or Jigoku all together. Seven are in walking distance and two more are in another area. I know we didn't see all of them but we got the idea. The Beppu area is well known for it's hot springs. There are many onsens (baths) around Beppu the hells are just for visiting though. They are way too hot to get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment